Log in

No account? Create an account
Drinking from the Fire Hose
and trying not to drown

Date: 2006-09-08 20:34
Subject: Yay! I'm home and curled up in my corner of the couch!
Security: Public
Location:Home and on the couch
Music:CSI: Miami: Dead Woman Walking
After a long and frustrating conversation with AT&T this afternoon, I was more than ready to call it a day and come home. Unfortunately, it was only 3:00 p.m. and I had another two hours left to go.

While I waited for 5:00 to roll around, I thought about all the things I'd rather be doing. Working on one of my crafts projects, repotting a couple of plants, harvesting hot peppers...

We left the office shortly after 5:00 and went straight to the house. I came inside, got out the plastic buckets I wanted to spray paint and a couple of cans of paint, and then returned to the driveway where I laid out squares of newspaper and then went to work. After I had the buckets painted, I decided that since I had to kill at least 15 minutes while the paint dried, I might as well harvest some compost and repot my flowers. To my surprise, I completely emptied the compost bin before I ran out of energy -- and still had enough left to do the repotting.

It was 7:30 by the time I finished my work and put away my tools and closer to 8:30 by the time I took a shower, started a load of laundry, and made myself some dinner. See why I'm so happy to be here on the couch?
Post A Comment | 2 Comments | | Link

alpaca princess
User: renniekins
Date: 2006-09-09 14:24 (UTC)
Subject: (no subject)
Wow, what an impressively productive day! Good for you.
Reply | Thread | Link

User: mrs_sweetpeach
Date: 2006-09-09 20:22 (UTC)
Subject: (no subject)
Yesterday seems easy in comparison to this morning. Hamish woke me up at 9:40. By 10:00 I was outside, taking photos of the yard. While I was out front, I noticed the trash men hadn't come through yet and there was some interesting looking stuff on the-neighbor-who-is-moving's curb. I went over to take a better look and found one perfectly serviceable trash can, three plastic coat hangers, one wooden Brooks Brothers hanger, and two big plastic flower pots, all of which I rescued. I left the snow shovel, bedding, and who-knows-what-else behind. The snow shovel didn't last long -- not ten minutes later there was a woman with a minivan who stopped and grabbed it. She grabbed some stuff that was in black plastic garbage bags -- I didn't look in any of them, so I have no idea what booty she went away with.

Anyway, after taking my photos, I got out the clippers and finally (finally!) pruned the yews. They've been bugging me for months but between my allergies and the overly hot days we've had this summer, I couldn't talk myself into doing anything about them. I wanted to prune the dogwoods and the beech tree, but it started to rain and I thought I'd be better off cleaning up the mess I'd made thus far.

The rain stopped as suddenly as it'd begun, but by then I'd picked up the clippings and moved to the backyard. My other two self-selected jobs for the day were putting together the new compost bin and un-jamming the chipper/shredder. I started on the chipper/shredder, but had no luck at all. So I got the box containing the new compost bin down off the shelf -- harder than it sounds when it's a good two feet over my head, reasonably heavy, and the garage is so full of junk there was no good place to stand to maneuver the thing. Still, I managed. I got the first two sections put together, but then could not get the third attached. And the sky was getting dark and I could tell it was going to start storming any minute. I went inside and told jebra that I was in dire need of his help and that it was going to storm so he'd best hurry.

He had no trouble getting the pieces of the compost bin to fit together. He had some trouble getting the ground where it's going to go level, but he managed. Getting the chipper/shredder unstuck was even worse. After trying every other trick we know, we resorted to running water through the shredding chamber. That flushed out great clumps of what looked like finished compost.
After the motor was running without tripping the circuit breaker, he went back inside. I stayed outside and began shredding today's yew clippings, the rose canes I cut down weeks ago, and several piles of dried leaves. Somewhere in the midst of that the rain returned. I worked for a while, until it occurred to me that big fat drops of water falling into the top of the machine probably wasn't doing it any good. And getting the electric motor wet was probably even worse. I didn't want to stop before I was done though, and decided the best thing to do was to cover the top of the chipper/shredder with the box the compost bin came in. It's a big box, far larger than the top opening and big enough to provide shelter to the motor. I finished shredding my garden waste just a few minutes after the thunderstorm began in earnest. Then it was running around, dumping the shreddings in the compost bin, turning off the hose, putting the tools away.

Now I'm doing laundry (it's amazing just how dirty I get playing in the yard.
Reply | Parent | Thread | Link

my journal
October 2019