Drive-by Update - Drinking from the Fire Hose — LiveJournal
? ?
Drinking from the Fire Hose
My life and my weekly scrapbook pages

Date: 2010-07-26 11:22
Subject: Drive-by Update
Security: Public
Music:Dan Bull: Safe
Tags:biking, photography, rl
While this weekend did not suck green monkey dicks, it wasn't the best either. I went to bed incredibly early Friday night, so that I could wake up in time to go to the Davis Reunion in Aurelius. I woke up when the alarm went off, gave Hamish his medicine, took a shower, and was dressed and out the door before 10 a.m. I stopped at Speedway for a few cans of Arizona Iced Tea (need that 'feine), got to scritch *two* Jack Russell Terriers behind the ears, and was on the highway by 10:15. At 10:30 I remember I'd left my dish to pass at home in the refrigerator. I figured I would lose too much time if I went home to fetch it and kept driving. Five minutes or so later the car started binging and me and the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I drove another two miles before I found a safe place to stop and call Jebra. Naturally, I got his voicemail. (le sigh) Meanwhile, I knew our boss' diagnosis dohickey was in the glove box, but I had no clue how to use the fool thing. I found the name of the device and searched the web on my phone, but had no luck learning where to plug it in ("locations vary", according to what I read). I checked the car's user manual and found the page where it talks about the car being OBD-II Compliant, it doesn't say where to find the receptacle. I tried calling Jebra again, and sent him a SMS, but after waiting five minutes without a response, I gave up and headed home.

A little while after I got settled into my corner of the couch, my cellphone rang. It was my mom and her first words were "You're going to kill me." I said I didn't think I so, and asked why. She's hosting a teacher from China and she (the teacher) needed to be somewhere or other doing something with her students. So my mom was going to miss the reunion and she thought I'd be mad that she'd forgotten to call me. I told her my tale of woe and said I could rent a car and get there before the reunion ended, but she said I should just stay home. So I did.

Where I fought a winning battle with my yarn. I started a new scarf and taught myself how to intentionally drop stitches, only I picked the wrong size needles and cast on twice the number of stitches I should have. After three or four rows I realized the scarf was going to be *way* too wide and I didn't like how the drops looked, so I unraveled what I'd done and started over on different needles, with a more sensible number of cast on stitches, and two rather than three wrap-overs for the drops.

Yesterday's highlight was going for a bike ride in the late afternoon. I took my camera with me and stopped at the apartment of one of the folks in the neighborhood. I knocked on the door and asked if it would be okay if I took photos of his garden. He said sure and went back to whatever it was I'd interrupted. He came out a few minutes later to watch and talk to me about his plants. Turns out a few are Michigan natives and he's willing to share his seeds with me after he harvests them this fall. And we talked about the sunflower he cross-bred. He took a medium-height sunflower and crossed it with a smaller one that has multiple flower heads. Amazingly, the cross-bred specimen is between 10 and 12 feet high. It has multiple flower heads to but it hasn't bloomed yet. (Some of his other sunflowers are nearly to the point where he can harvest their seeds.)

This entry was originally posted at
Post A Comment | 1 Comment | | Flag | Link

User: phoenix_turtle9
Date: 2010-07-27 07:25 (UTC)
Subject: (no subject)
"While this weekend did not suck green monkey dicks, it wasn't the best either. "

Hee! I have weekends like that, too. :-)))
Reply | Thread | Link

my journal
April 2024